Welcome To the Official BYU Hawaii Pre Medical site

The BYU Hawaii Premedical resource and events guide is designed with the future medical school student in mind.  The information contained on this website will aid applicants in preparing for a career in medicine.  You will find everything you need to know from information regarding the application process, medical schools, career exploration, the MCAT as well as advice to realize your dream of practicing medicine.  Comments and suggestions are encouraged to help us help one another find success in such a competitive field.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

University of Medicine and Health Sciences St. Kitts





I just stumbled upon another school I think many of you might be interested in considering. UMHS is a new school in the Caribbean brought to you by the same man who owned and founded Ross University (if you remember their Representative came last year). This medical school is a similar format as Ross, you do approximately 1.5 years (4 semesters without summer break) on St. Kitts in the Caribbean then you do 1 semester in Portland, Maine followed by rotations at one of many different teaching hospitals located throughout the country. You may consider this option if you are worried about getting in because of low grades or test scores or just really love Tropical islands. Things to consider: it is a new school and their first graduating class is July 2010, they accept students 3 times a year.

2 comments:

AZZUO YDN CINIMOD said...

hi,I want to ask some question regarding this BYU-Hawaii pre Med..I am a Malaysian, age 21 and I wonder if I can get into this school. I am currently studying in Diploma In Sciences (taking Biology as my major). Ive just finished my 4 semester and I still have 2 more semesters to go. Which mean that I will finished my diploma around June 2011. For your information, my result (GPA and cGPA) right now is not good enough for me to be even be considered by any medical school. These are my GPAs:
1st semester: 3.14
2nd semester: 3.02
3rd semester: 3.08
4th semester: 3.71
I know that they are not even qualify to apply to a med school but I wonder if I can enter to a Pre-med school with my result? Is there any other way that I can do to enter into a med school with my poor GPAs? I really want to be a Doctor and will do anything to achieve that. I just regreted that I didn't focused in my study for the past 3 semesters. Please tell me what I should do? Is there any chance for me to be accepted into a med school? and can you tell me what are the requirement for a pre-med student? Thank you.

Norma said...

I am actually going to this St. Kitts Medical School next year. For me, UMHS St. Kitts was an easy decision. It seems to really invest in its students and, for what I've learned, offers a great education. I'd love to hear more about them from you to help me plan for my experiences.