Welcome To the Official BYU Hawaii Pre Medical site

The BYU Hawaii Premedical resource and events guide is designed with the future medical school student in mind.  The information contained on this website will aid applicants in preparing for a career in medicine.  You will find everything you need to know from information regarding the application process, medical schools, career exploration, the MCAT as well as advice to realize your dream of practicing medicine.  Comments and suggestions are encouraged to help us help one another find success in such a competitive field.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What is Your Favorite Medical Related Book?

Lets get some discussion going, I'm looking for some input here because in about a week I want to be reading a new book and bet others are interested in broadening their horizons as well, so share!

6 comments:

brandon frandsen said...

I left out a book I realized upon reviewing this post that I think is worthy of mention. An Uncertain Art is similar to Better and How doctors think although in my opinion those books are better written and overall more entertaining that being said I think its still worth reading.

Sheri said...

I recommend anything by Malcolm Gladwell such as the tipping Point, Blink, or Outliers. Although not medically centered he touches on topics that will open your mind to the world around you and show you everyday things through new eyes. I especially think the 10,000 hours required for success is very prevalent in the medical profession. I also think a lot of premeds get caught up in their own little worlds and another book I'd recommend to break you out of this is Freakonomics this will give you a broad look at a variety of social issues which will make you think twice the next time you try to jump to concussions.

Seth said...

when I interviewed, the question was brought up, What was the last book you read? which was the medium abridged Le Misrables, and we talked about it for a while

Chet said...

I agree, in my med school interviews it was brought up a few times. Questions like what was the last book you read? and your favorite book? and I was just glad that I found some time during my breaks to be able to have something to talk about. Medical School is full of reading, so I guess that's why they ask because if you don't enjoy reading you will be miserable throughout med school.

drjjh said...

I agree with Sheri- reading non-medical books is healthy when all you are thinking about is biochem/organic chem/anatomy...
That being said, I really liked Intern by Dr. X.

Pass4Sure said...

i like your blog post and i am so grateful for your blog post.thanks